East Rankin Academy is looking forward to welcoming our students back for the new school year! As we are diligently preparing for the return of students to campus, safety protocols and procedures will continue to be implemented as we endeavor to protect the health and well being of our students, faculty, and staff. We will continue to monitor the Covid-19 environment, but currently our plan for the new school year includes the following safety protocols and procedures:
- Masks are optional for ERA students and teachers. Please remember only solid white, solid navy, solid red masks (free of design or writing) or ERA masks may be worn at school.
- Parents should perform an assessment of their children’s health before leaving home. If your child is sick with any of the following symptoms, please keep them at home and contact your healthcare provider: fever, chills, cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, fatigue, body aches, headaches, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion, runny nose, nausea/vomiting, and or diarrhea.
- Faculty and staff will assist in monitoring students for symptoms and will refer anyone with symptoms to the school nurse or office for evaluation.
- Proper hand washing will be encouraged to help protect against the spread of the COVID-19 virus and other infections. Hand sanitizer will also be used between activities.
- Routine cleaning and disinfecting of surfaces and objects frequently touched will be maintained.
- Students testing positive for COVID-19 will be required to self-quarantine for 10 days from the day symptoms started.After 10 days, the student must also be fever free for 24 hours before returning to school. A student with a positive test, but not symptoms may not return until 10 days from the date of the positive test. (A pending Covid-19 test is considered positive until the results are received. Students awaiting test results should not report to school.)
- If a family member or close contact of a student is being tested, the student should remain at home while the close contact is awaiting test results. (If the family member/close contact receives a negative test, the student may return to school.)
- If a family member or close contact tests positive for COVID-19, a student should follow the following recommended quarantine/testing guidelines:
• 10-day option: Quarantine can end after 10 days if the individual has no symptoms during the entire 10-day period.
• 7-day option: If the individual has no symptoms for 7 days and has a negative COVID-19 test (molecular or antigen) collected on day 5, 6, or 7 of the quarantine period, the quarantine period can be discontinued after 7 days. A negative test result must be presented to the office when the student returns to school.
• Fully vaccinated students and teachers/staff do not require quarantine after contact to an infected person unless they develop symptoms. (Fully vaccinated persons are recommended to test 3-5 days after exposure to rule out infection.)